Plugins are very popular amongst server owners as they help enhance the game without adding additional steps required for players to join. With plugins, you need only pick ones you’d like for your server, install them, and you’re good to go. Players can join a server with plugins just the same as they would be able to without.
Note: Plugins are not compatible with vanilla Minecraft. You must be running Spigot (optimized for performance) or CraftBukkit in order to run plugins on your Minecraft server. This guide can help you change your server type.
If you’re not sure where to find plugins, the best place to look is typically on the website associated with the server type you’re using.
For example, if you’re using Spigot, you’ll want to check out Spigot’s Resources area here: https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/
We also have a plugin installer built right into our control panel, Prisma. This makes it easy to search for the plugins you need and install them on-demand. However, we encourage you to do research on which plugins you want, need, and could go without before you begin installing every plugin that looks ideal. The more plugins you have, the more memory you may need. Also, not every plugin is up-to-date. It’s very important to only install plugins that are updated and compatible with your server and the other plugins you wish to use.
Be sure to check out each plugin’s documentation so you know exactly what will work and what won’t, as well as whether or not you really need it on your server.
If you already know exactly what you’re looking for, you already have your server type set accordingly for plugin use, and you’d like to take the easy route of installing the latest available version of a plugin off of Spigot, just follow the steps below:
- Log into your Prisma account here: https://prisma.cubedhost.com/login
- Once you have logged in, select the server you wish to update.
- Select the “Stop” button and wait for your server status to show as “Stopped”.
- Before you go any further, be aware… If you’re experimenting with new plugins or ones you’re unfamiliar with, we encourage you to back up your server before you proceed. Some plugins are broken and may cause issues on your server. While we do have backups available, our automated system currently runs once per day and you may lose progress if a plugin corrupts your server.
- If you’re ready to proceed, navigate to “CUSTOMIZE” > “PLUGINS”.
- On this page, you’ll find the Plugin Explorer. Use the search function to search for the plugin you wish to install.
- Once you’ve found the plugin, select it and then select the “Install” button.
- Prisma will notify you once the plugin is installed and it will end up showing within your “Installed Plugins” list on the right. You can uninstall the plugin by simply clicking on the trash can icon beside it.
- Start your server.
- The plugin(s) you’ve installed should be active!
If the plugin(s) appear to have not installed, you receive an error message, or your server is unable to start after attempting to install a plugin, please reach out to our Minecraft team.
If you have received an error message from Prisma, please be sure to note that within your support request (open a conversation using the blue button in the bottom-right of the website). If you are ready to install plugins manually, you may do so via FTP by simply uploading the plugin file into your server’s plugins folder. You can do this by using the File Manager in Prisma or you may connect to FTP using a third-party FTP manager, such as FileZilla.